Audio Only Version
Most of us have set goals at one time or another. Maybe we achieved them, maybe we didn’t. In this episode you’re going to learn a simple, yet, incredibly effective system for how to set goals each month and more importantly, how to achieve them!
First, it starts off with the way you set your goals. To begin, limit yourself to no more than 3-5 main goals for the month. Any more starts to make them all harder to achieve.
Then, when determining each goal, the goal needs to be “measurable”. For instance, rather than saying “I want to work on my relationship” or “I want to be healthier” set goals like having a date night with your significant other once a week or working out for at least 30 minutes 4 times per week.
One of keys to my goal setting process is my morning routine. Almost all successful people have a morning ritual they follow. Here’e what I do…
1. I wake up and even before getting out of bed, I say 3 things I’m grateful for.
2. I read my goals for the month every day.
3. At the beginning of each month I write a letter to myself. The letter is written as though it’s coming from me in the future, congratulating me for everything I’ve accomplished that month. (This is huge. It’s called “future pacing” and it works really well.) Every day I read that letter.
4. I keep a white board up where I visually check off that I’ve completed my morning routine.
5. Eat a healthy breakfast. I usually make a quick smoothie. Studies show that if your first meal of the day is healthy, the rest of your meals are more likely to be healthy.
6. Exercise. That might be a run, hitting the gym, or taking a crossfit class. By getting my exercise out of the way in the morning I know it’s done for the day and there’s no way I can let my day get too busy and cause me to miss my workout.
And, finally, the last key piece for how to set goals is incorporating public accountability. Meaning, involve your friends and family in your goals and let them know what you have going on.
Facebook has made this really easy. Just put your goals into a short post and put them out to the world. Then, come back at the end of the month and post an update.
This system has worked phenomenally well for me and tons of other people.
Give it a try and let us know your results!
Love the Goals on Fire system? If so, please leave a comment below and tell us what you loved!